Monday 18 November 2013

Chapter 3 – Tonal Effects in Machine Stitchery

 

IMG_0901

Samples A, B, C, and D

A- straight stitching:  B – zig zag : C – various stitch patterns + changing stitch length. D – zig zag + variations in stitch length and density

IMG_0906

E, F 

E – automatic ‘darning stitch: F – wavy stitch + variations in stitch length and width

IMG_0902

G, H

G – Whip stitch, bottom tension loosened, various automatic stitches. White bobbin thread pulled to top on outside lines of stitching.

H – zig zag whip stitch with black bottom thread pulled to top

IMG_0904

Reverse sides of above samples G and H

IMG_0916 

IMG_0917

I and J – more whipped stitches, variations of stitch length and width - right and reverse sides

Cable Stitch – my rather old Elna sewing machine ‘refused ‘ to sew with a thicker thread on the bobbin even with reduced tension. The bobbin case is not removable. I just spent ages undoing a tangle.

Stitched Strips

I have chosen some of the built in and ‘Elna disc’ stitches on my machine that I feel create animal markings when machined in strips.

IMG_0910 

K, L, M and N

 

IMG_0912

O, P, Q, and R

IMG_0914

I particularly like samples M, N, O, and P

Some personal thoughts on animal patterns produced by stitching.

When I was at teacher training college many years I wrote and embroidered a dissertation on Blackwork embroidery. I have always been fascinated by the way simples lines created innumerable patterns on a even weave fabric. I thought Blackwork patterns could create wonderful animal patterns. I have made a modern interpretation of a Blackwork Sampler using a soft, plain white Portuguese tea towel with a raised, woven square pattern.

My Blackwork Animal Pattern Sampler

IMG_0930 IMG_0926

IMG_0919 IMG_0921

 

IMG_0920  IMG_0922

 

IMG_0925 IMG_0923

IMG_0939 IMG_0924

 

IMG_0931 IMG_0932

IMG_0933 IMG_0934

IMG_0935 IMG_0936

IMG_0937 IMG_0938

No comments:

Post a Comment