Wednesday 5 June 2013

Chapter 4 –Cut and Fold Design shapes

 

Cut and fold designs from folded black paper squares

IMG_0257 IMG_0259

A                          B                 C                       D

  IMG_0354IMG_0265

    E                          F                 G                       H 

 IMG_0263

    I           J            K

B, C, D and F have two lines of symmetry. A, G, and H have one line of symmetry and the remainder are asymmetrical .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Designs cut from folded, coloured paper squares.

I have mounted my designs onto individual squares of card. This means that I have a ‘pack of design cards’ and  can select one to develop into a fabric and/or stitched sample. This has already worked  for me, I have developed several bonded fabric samples with the selected  design card in front of me. I enjoyed this chapter and made lots of design cards. I have experimented with colour combinations and subsequently  arranged  the design cards in related colour schemes. Some designs are more successful than others, I feel this is sometimes related to the colour combination and just a change colours would make it work.

The cards are either 10 x 10cm or 12 x 12 cm.

 

IMG_0310  IMG_0357 

A                                            B                

 A – two symmetrical shapes  overlapped  to give asymmetry         

B  -   layers of symmetrical shapes rotated and layered asymmetrically               

IMG_0315  

    C -  Layers of symmetrical shapes rotated and layered asymmetrically over a negative space                                                  

 IMG_0319 IMG_0321

 D + E   Negative window pane spaces over asymmetrical cut designs                                                             

IMG_0324 IMG_0317

F   Complex star design         G – Interesting   spaces

                                                                               

IMG_0327 IMG_0331

I H  + I - Positive and negative star shapes. I have used both these designs in bonded fabric samples but changed the colours.                                        

IMG_0333 IMG_0329

 J                                          K

IMG_0334  

L

J + K+ L - More star inspired designs.

I have already developed H, I, and L  into bonded fabric samples.                                     

IMG_0298  IMG_0300

 M                                          N

  IMG_0308IMG_0307

 O                                           P

M +N + O + P – are all asymmetrical layered designs. The negative spaces are very varied and interesting. I think translating these designs into fabric would be challenging.

  IMG_0305

 

 Q  - an experimental design I made from left over cut pieces and scraps of card.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Script – three of the above design cards developed into bonded fabric samples. I dyed and/or printed all the fabrics.

   IMG_0386  IMG_0384  IMG_0383 

My work place with me working on my bonded samples

 

IMG_0394                            

No comments:

Post a Comment