Monday 5 August 2013

Chapter 7 - Translating the Layered Designs into Embroidery

 

All the fabrics in this chapter were dyed, stencilled and/or printed on old pillow cases. I used acrylic paints, acrylic medium and fabric dyes in my colour scheme. I have included my main design inspirations for each sample. I think you saw all  these samples at Summer School.

IMG_0535   IMG_0061

 7a –  There are three layers of fabric in this sample and it is hand stitched using chain stitch and whipped running stitch. I tried fraying the edge of the the star shape as you suggested but this was not very effective because the acrylic paint used to colour the fabric sticks the fibres together..

 

  IMG_0117IMG_0187

 

IMG_0545

 7b – In this sample there is just one layer of fabric, the layered effect is achieved by using strips of fabric in a ‘log cabin’ patchwork technique. The stencilled stars in the centre are outlined in chain stitch. I love this sample, printing my own fabrics and using a subtle range of colours has given a very unified sample

 IMG_0528 IMG_0063  

 

7c – The stencilled stars were ‘practise’ pieces on scraps of fabric. I thought they deserved to be used in a sample. The design is a bit formal but I like the bead embellishment. These was inspired by the encrusted surface of the starfish in the photographs.

 

IMG_0156

IMG_0538 IMG_0536

7d                                         7e

7d and 7e are negative and positive samples of the same star image. The star shape of 7e was cut from 7d. There are two layers of fabric. The stitching on both samples is chain stitch and twisted chain stitch. I like this pair of samples, the design and colours work well together.

 

IMG_0549  IMG_0277

 7e 

7e this sample was an interpretation of one of my cut paper shapes, there are three layers of fabric and the design is lightly padded. The stitching is chain stitch and blanket stitch.

IMG_0552IMG_0138

7e – This sample just uses stitching to define the two overlaid star shapes. The stitches used are running stitch and french knots. I feel the colours in the sample are too near each other in tone so there is not enough contrast to make the sample effective.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment