Thursday 15 August 2013

Chapter 9 Reverse Appliqué - Traditional and Contemporary Methods

 

IMG_0605 IMG_0610

9a                                         9b

I went on a cruise through the Panama Canal several years ago and obtained some samples of traditional applique work from the Sans Blas Islands.  There are many layers of fabric and the turned under edges are neatly secured with tiny stitches. These ladies are very skilled needle women.

9a - is a traditional design. 

9b - is a modern design showing a ship going through the Panama Canal.

NB - all my following samples are hand stitched because I was still travelling in the motor home when I made them. My machine was in  Portugal.

 

    IMG_0632 IMG_0652

9c                                           9d

9c – The cut paper design I used.  

9d - Traditional method with edges turned under. I used a hand dyed and printed cotton that did not fray easily for this sample but I still found this method very challenging.

 

IMG_0625  IMG_0433

9e – the cut paper paper design.    9f – the hand printed fabrics I used

 IMG_0626

9g - the back of the sample showing that I used just one motif from the above design.

IMG_0627 IMG_0629

9h                                         9i 

9h - Contempory method with cut edges showing. There are four fabric layers and this sample is cut inside the stitching. There is not enough colour contrast in the middle layer so it does not show up very well.  

9i - Contempory method with cut edges showing. There are four fabric layers and  this time the sample is cut outside the stitching.

 

IMG_0632 IMG_0633

9i – the cut paper design.            9j – the back of the sample showing that one unit of the design was used but with extra stitching added around the unit.

IMG_0635 

9k - I tried the contemporary method  again but this time with contrasting coloured fabrics. It is a more complex sample. There are four layers and it is cut inside the stitching 

 IMG_0638IMG_0639

9l – the cut paper design       9m – the back of the sample showing the stitching

IMG_0641 

9n - Contempory method with cut edges showing. It is a more complex sample. There are several  layers, some layers only cover part of the background and it is cut inside and outside the stitching. I feel this makes an interesting and surprising sample. 

No comments:

Post a Comment